Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Support "Relay for Life"... Your help counts.


I have been a supporter and organizer for the American Cancer Societies "Relay for Life" for the past 5 years or so. Its amazing what life occurances will open your eyes to certain causes.

As for me, I have lost family members to cancer, as I'm sure most of us have. But it was the loss of Mercedes, she was an adorable little girl that attended my childrens day care. Watching and hearing of the struggles this little angel went through in her young enbattled life really altered my thinking.

When your younger you seem to figure that only the old get sick. I knew cancer had no age requirements or race requirements but for me it was always just horrible things (older people) had to deal with. Little Mercedes lost her battle to cancer but with the passing of her life came a rebirth of awareness. It was amazing to see the way the children would interact with her at the day care (when she felt up to attending). The children seemed more aware of her situation than some of the adults. They didn't avoid her or shy away, but actually really knew how she wanted to be treated.

Mary Risley, the director of "Mom's Place" (the daycare my children attended) has made it a mission in her life to build awareness for cancer and the fight for the cure. Through "Mom" we called her, even the parents, most all of us have learned the importance of cancer awareness.

Having two young children of my own, I cannot even fathom the heartache of watching your child suffering with such a disease. Its important for all of us to do our part, be it little or small.

I urge you, whoever may read my blog here, to take the steps to support the American Cancer Society in their efforts for finding a cure. One way is participating in the Relay for life events held across the country. You can check the link for events in your area and ways you can participate. Or you can comment to this post and I'll direct you to a source for more information.

Thank You: Eric

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home